Re: Plant time for the South?

>Do folks here in the South really plant TBs in JULY!?
>or August, which is even hotter?

I can tell you from personal experience that irises can be planted in the
South in the summer months and bloom the following year.  I planted some
irises in May, several in July, and some in August and September.  They are
all growing like weeds and I have had several bloom stalks so far.  This is
the first full year they have been down, so it doesn't seem to have harmed
my irises any.  In Baton Rouge, Louisiana, it gets fairly hot and very
humid, but the irises don't seem to mind that much.  Atleast not so far.
Knock on wood, I've had no rot so for.  Everything I planted last year has
had an increase and they are all growing like crazy.  This is just my own
presonal comments on the subject.  I am by no means a pro at gardening and I
know very little about irises.  I just hope I have been able to help.

Good luck,
Janet Burleigh
Baton Rouge, LA