Re: Jim's Intro and Hybridizing Question.

:        Greetings! I'm Jim Schroetter, and my wife Gina and I live in
:Spotsylvania county, Virginia.

Welcome Jim!

:        I found out this past weekend, while helping out at the show, some
:very interesting things about hybridizing.  For example, I was shown two very
:similar yet different iris (one was Titans Glory) which, I was told, have the
:same parents.  Up until then, I was afraid that you had to do extensive
:research to see if the cross you are thinking of doing has ever been done
:before, or you would end up making all that effort only to find that it has
:"already been done."  In fact, I found that you are to plant all of the seeds
:from a pod and you will likely get a variety of iris as a relult.

Yes, it works rather like it does with people. Being the fourth and last
child in my family, I am glad that my parents chose to repeat the cross
at least a few times.  ;)

:        Wouldn't this be a good time of year to have some discussion,
:pointers, etc. on hybridizing??

I agree. Got any good questions?

Hybridizing season is just starting here. I got some pods on my pumila
x pumila crosses. The first tetraploid aril opened yesterday
(Werckmeister's Beauty), and its pollen has already been applied to
three pumila blooms, I. aphylla Wine Red, and an SDB-sized aphylla
derivative seedling from Jim Craig. I think our unseasonably warm
weather is actually helping the process this year. Last year, the
days were cool and the nights quite cold during bloom season, which
I suspect inhibited some of the crosses from taking. We'll see.

Happy irising, Tom.