New member (and HELP!)

Hi everyone, just joined the list.  My names Pat O'Horo, and my wife and I
live in south central NJ (zone 6).  Beautiful farm country with clay soil.
I really like clay after planting in the Florida sand.  Seems its easier to
fix clay if it needs it.

Well, we are the proud owners of 4 different Bearded Iris rhizomes. Only I
fear I have sent 3 of them to an early demise. A little knowledge is a
dangerous thing...

I need experienced opinions on how to remedy my error(s).  I bought 4 probably
poor conditioned rhizomes at a local store.  I soaked all of the rhizomes in
the same water while I prepared the bed.  I noticed soft spots on the rhizomes
but didn't really think anything about it.  Well 3 weeks later there is only
one set of fans to be seen.

So, is it better to dig up the others, carve them down, and reset them?  Or
let nature take its course?  If I carve them down, how big of a piece do I
need to get the plant going?

Thanks, and I look forward to following the list.

Pat O'Horo
Colts Neck, NJ
Zone 6