Re: Water Iris

>Is it possible to grow Louisiana's or Japanese in pots submerged in 3" to
>12" or water. Is it important to have much dirt around them? I would
>assume that I would have to divide them much more often than if they were
>planted directly in the ground (bog).

Louisianas like to have their feet wet.  With Japanese, I know that some
people in Oakland grow them in ponds but I do not know their technique.
 Japanese irises do not do well if submerged...only the bottoms of the pots.
 And they do much better, if they are  removed from the water every couple of
weeks and their roots allowed to dry out for a couple of days.  We cannot
leave them in ponds over winter here in the mid Atlantic because our ponds
freeze (usually)...and if Japanese iris roots are in frozen water they are
killed at once.  Clarence Mahan in Virginia