Re: Historical Iris?

In a message dated 96-05-11 16:06:45 EDT,Cynthia wrote

>was wondering if anyone MIGHT know what the old plicata type is...we had it
>on the farm when I was a child...and it was there when the people we bought
>the farm from moved there...It was a smaller flower, white, with blue
>markings around the edges of the falls and the standards. I would like to
>replace it at our new home out of sentimentality. Our home in Loomis was
>built in the early 1860's and had alot of the original plants,

The most popular plicata in the 19th century was MME CHEREAU (Lemon 1844).
 This might be the iris you are looking for. It is often confused with
SWERTI, a collected plicata which also might be the iris you had...both are
lovely, and you could not go wrong with either or both.  Clarence Mahan in VA