Re: rot tolerance, cultivars etc

In a message dated 96-05-10 15:23:35 EDT,Linda Mann wrote:

>I think it would be nice if newly introduced iris included in the sale
>catalog description where in the country it has been grown - sort of like
the
>list for re-bloomers.

In modern times, most unfortunately, there is not a lot of testing out of
irises in other parts of the country before introducting them.  There used to
be AIS test gardens around the country, but the program had many difficulties
and was finally given up.  The only test garden now working that I am aware
of is the Dr. Loomis test garden in Colorado, where growing conditions are
much different than yours and mine.

When you are considering buying certain irises, my suggestion is that you
consult with someone who has been actively growing irises for some time in
your general area and knows them well.  Consult in private, as most
experienced irisarians do not want to be negative (and then, too, even the
most knowledgeable can be wrong...what might seem difficult for your area
because of its parentage might surprise everyone and do really well...this
happens to me with some frequency which is why I tempt fate and buy some new
ones that I would suspect will not do well here).

Do not expect breeders of new introductions to suggest that they will not do
well in your area...we iris breeders believe our irises will do well
everywhere...like other human beings we often have rich fantasy lives. But I
know most of the iris breeders in this country and they are almost all
wonderful people who are dedicated to doing the right thing!  They get very
little return financially for the effort they put into their pursuit of
beauty...but get much in return in enjoyment and in the creation of beauty.
 Clarence Mahan in VA