solarizing

Hi, all:

 I understood that the benefit of solarizing was not just heat, but
ultra-violet radiation, which is possible under clear plastic but not black
plastic and that it was responsible for killing bacteria and fungi, more than
seeds.  I did use it one spring after I turned some soil and I didn't find
weeds growing.  And we don't have a lot of spring sunshine up here, except the
liquid kind! <G>

 Janis Whitcomb, Auburn, WA