re: show and attendence and varieties

>> We get the biggest crowd, I'll bet. In the tens of  thousands.  Standing
room only.  >>So thick with admirers we can't get through the aisles!!

>The regular cite for the Chesapeake and Potomac Iris Society to hold its May
>show is the U.S. Capitol Botanic Garden on the Mall in Washington D.C.....Do
>you really think you get bigger crowds!

Whimper - our main local newspaper let us down this year and hardly anybody
came to our party compared to last year.  We had less than 1% of the
attendence we had last year - we sent announcements to all the same places.
 I hate learning experiences.  We need to design a logo and put a bunch of
posters in the local garden centers a week or two ahead of time and BUY an ad
in the big newspaper.  Attendance was also down because the iris have done so
poorly here this year.  VERY depressing.

On the bright side, club members had plenty of time to share information and
talk about hybridizing, valued qualities of different varieties, and
(surprise!) rot.  Quite a few historic iris were on view  - discovered I have
Rheingauperle and got to see Lorelee.

One of our long time iris growers who has hybridized for years but is a
perfectionist and has never introduced anything, had some beautiful show
stalks, including an older one that he says is way too old fashioned (style
of the 70's) that grows like a weed.  Similar to Stepping Out or Going My Way
(both of which have rotted here).  He says I may swap it to other people if
anybody is interested.

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com e tenn usa