Re: rot tolerance, cultivars etc

<In modern times, most unfortunately, there is not a lot of testing out of
<irises in other parts of the country before introducting them.

Is there a particular reason for that?   I would think that hybridizers would
want to 'buddy' with other hybridizers so they could brag on how well their
babies do all over the world.  Is it just too traumatic to hear the bad news?

<When you are considering buying certain irises, my suggestion is that you
<consult with someone who has been actively growing irises for some time in
<your general area and knows them well.

And go look at their gardens.  Sometimes, a grower will say something is
really wonderful because they love some quality about it and may overlook
something that will be a problem in your garden.  In my case, early bloomers
nearly always don't bloom or are stunted (like Jesse's Song, which is
otherwise a spectacular iris).  Unfortunately, we don't have enough bearded
iris folks who buy a many new introductions.

<Do not expect breeders of new introductions to suggest that they will not do
<well in your area... But I know most of the iris breeders in this country
and they are <almost all wonderful people who are dedicated to doing the
right thing!  They get very
<little return financially for the effort they put into their pursuit of
beauty...but get much <in return in enjoyment and in the creation of beauty.

I guess all my whining about rot problems makes me sound ungrateful..if they
weren't such beautiful luscious wonders I wouldn't be trying to grow them
here at all.  And contrary to your comment about breeders, Chet Tompkins and
Cooleys both warned me away from certain Tompkins and Ernst varieties when I
asked about them, and Jim McWhirter also sent me notes about different
varieties at Stockton.  And from Keppel's catalog, where he talks about
biodegradeable iris, I suspect he would do the same.

At least I have one small bed (about 20 ft long, 4 ft wide) full of some of
the better (for me) late bloomers about to open.  Maybe I should just order
50 rhizomes of Dusky Challenger, Vanity, and Churchill Downs!

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com e tennessee usa