Re: rot tolerance, cultivars etc

At 06:26 AM 5/13/96 MDT,
Clarence wrote:

>When you are considering buying certain irises, my suggestion is that you
>consult with someone who has been actively growing irises for some time in
>your general area and knows them well.  Consult in private, as most
>experienced irisarians do not want to be negative (and then, too, even the
>most knowledgeable can be wrong...what might seem difficult for your area
>because of its parentage might surprise everyone and do really well...this
>happens to me with some frequency which is why I tempt fate and buy some new
>ones that I would suspect will not do well here).

Clarence makes good points.  I don't have ANY growers near here in
comparable conditions and I don't live near enough to make many trips to see
actively growing iris.  That's a price I pay.  So I will actively try out
all kinds of things and I am not upset if they fail.  Also, I don't
automatically blame the plant.  And, face it, iris cultivars are very
inexpensive compared to some other plants.  :-)$  (smiling with dollars)

Also. I don't know anything about parentage so I probably have a host of
"impossible" plants.  I don't care.  It's fun.  White Flower Farm actually
sent me a letter last year telling me that much of my order was not rated to
do well and did I want to cancel?  That was a nice thing to do but, of
course, I didn't cancel.  Otherwise, all I'd have here would be white pines
(and I do have some of those).  :-)

Meanwhile I am actively perplexed by the foliage response of the three
irises I earlier wrote about in response to snow, but the iris are not going
to die so next year I'll see if they repeat their performance (because I can
expect late spring snows every year.)

I'll will continue to report performance as it occurs but people should be
aware that it is just one opinion in one harsh climatic zone.  The truth is
that, plants in general, and iris in particular are amazingly tough.  And
they earn my respect for their tolerance of my neglect.

Earlier I reported that ERLEEN RICHESON appeared to have died.  Well, she
still does, but the mother rhizome is still firm and I think, just maybe,
there might be a few little baby sprouts coming.

I still want to try Louisianas.  Is this totally out of the question for me?
Am I beinn really stupid to try to push my luck that far?  Everything I've
read says that their range is not determined and that some are hardy in the

I lucked on a plant of Pseudocorus varigata and another Siberian (HUMBERT?)
locally to add to my collection otherwise it's wait for my orders to arrive
in July.  Meanwhile the iris {TBs) look good.  Happy Happy Happy

Lee DeJongh in gorgeous Rhinelander Wi where tomorrow we are going to hit 70