Re: Season is Over!

To Robert and all:

Your bloom season for Louisiana irises is a most interesting one!  My La
season is just getting underway, and will not last especially long.  Early
bloom this year on Jeri.  It has opened in one clump for over one week.
That first stalk of Jeri opened Sunday, May 5th, the day of our local show.
That was my only La for the show, and I had to rely completely on
Siberians and species...which do well for me.  The stalk of Jeri I entered
in the show was a glorious one, not overly tall, the top bloom was fully
extended, the color deep and radiant at the same time.  Actually, it felt
pretty nice to enter only one stalk of a particular class...and to give it
proper attention.

Since the show, I've been flooded with stalks of Jeri, Feliciana Hills, and
Cherry Cup.  Most of my La. irises are grown in the country about 10 miles
from my home.  The countryside is much cooler, and the bloom is almost a
week later.  I hope to find good bloom there when I check it tomorrow, but
I'm not certain.  The clumps in the country garden, though they've been
properly fed and watered adequately--and many clumps are in third year of
growth, they ought to be full of bloom.  But, the winter was a rough one
for our USDA zone 7 area.