Re: soil solarization

>Sharon McA. asks re solarizing soil with black vs. clear plastic:
> >>   Anyone have experience to report from other climates?  I realize
> >>   southern NM qualifies as extreme
Here black plastic is preferred because the weeds will grow like crazy
under the clear. It just doesn't get nearly hot enough to kill them, and
the result is a jungle.

This may mean that solarization in the climate is useless for killing weed
seeds, and only good for various bacteria.

Kay Cangemi
Mid-Hudson Valley NY, USDA zone 5