Re: unwanted brush

At 02:37 AM 5/11/96 MDT, you wrote:
>Lee: There is an even better product for your "given purpose." Out here in
>Oregon we have a problem with wild blackberry and the ony way to "control"
>them is by spraying them in the lat fall as they are going into dormancy with
>"CROSSBOW." It is one heck of a product. Just about as pricey as Roundup.
>Regards, Dave, Molalla, Oregon

This is reprinted from  "SaxiHorti: the Electronic Rock Garden Journal" of

P6.  Pesky Weed Hint

Some weeds just don't know when to quit....         To get rid of
an unwanted woody plant that has sprung up in your rockwork with
minimal disturbance cut it off at the base and apply ONE DROP of
herbicide concentrate intended for woody plants such as Crossbow
early on a warm dry day.  If it is near a highly-sensitive plant,
you may have to consider temporary removal because the herbicide
does spread a bit.
Copyright assertion: Reprinted with permission from "Louise Parsons'
Favorite Hintz" (in *SaxiHorti* no.4, April 1996, part P.

Basic info about this list:
Harry Dewey, listowner, Alpine-L, the Electronic Rock Garden Society
To SUBSCRIBE or SIGNOFF send a 1-line Email letter to Listserv@Nic.Surfnet.NL
Subscribe Alpine-L Yourname comma city jurisdiction hardinesszone society/chapt
Example: Subscribe Alpine-L Harry Dewey, Beltsville MD Zone 7a NARGS Potomac

If they spring up right among my rhizomes though, I wait and dig them up in
the course of maintainanence.

Our other weed of horrors here in lush green Oregon is hedge morning glory.
I have found that the same "chop and drop" method will help to control them,
but ROUNDUP concentrate works better since they are herbaceous.  These nasty
perennial weeds are a good motivator to dig and divide often.  They are also
a good reason for me to move my Iris around in a kind of hort "crop rotation"

Forgive me for the repitition, because I have posted this next tip that has
helped me tremendously before, but there are I hope lots of new folk out
there.  I learned this from the local chapter of OREGON TILTH, an organic
group:  They "solarize" their ground to kill weed and grass seed.  Now
whenever I dig up an area, I cover the new unplanted bed with clear plastic
and let the summer sun "cook" it for a few days.  Organic gardeners have a
lot of creative ideas and cutting back on chemicals saves money.  While I am
not a hundred percent organic, I try like crazy to avoid the chemicals.

One more tip from the O G's:  They use a blow torch like device to weed and
I am going to find out more about this one!  If anyone has had experience
with this, sing out!  I will otherwise try to find out more about it from
TILTH.  The basic idea is a torch with a tiny flame that can be controlled.

Cheers, Louise

Louise H. Parsons  <parsont@peak.org>
Corvallis, OR  USA
USDA zone 7 , Emerald NARGS, AIS, SIGNA, SPCNI, transplanted Oregrowian