My (mostly iris) bio

  • To: iris-l@Rt66.com
  • Subject: My (mostly iris) bio
  • From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>
  • Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 08:06:29 -0700

I am probably one of the more recent irisarians in this iris email
robin, but maybe I make up for it by having a lot of computer experience
(having been a programmer for over one third of a century.

My parents grew irises when I was growing up in Cincinnati. Once in a
while someone would give us a special one: maybe dark purple or yellow.
These generally disappeared within a couple dig/separate/plant cycles. I
missed them.

I went off to college (Michigan State & Colorado), worked in Denver for
five years and then moved to Los Angeles. When it came time to buy a
house, a small yard seemed a plus (and yards here tend to be tiny
anyway). After a few years, in 1981, I decided some flowers would be
nice, and shortly thereafter saw an article on irises which mentioned
that the San Fernando Iris Society was having a sale soon. I bought
about 7 rhizomes of mixed colors. Despite major neglect (I believed that
they did not need watering in the summer, which is certainly not true in
our desert) they often bloomed. I bought again seven years later. I
still had _no_ idea what variety was available, even _just_ in TBs.

Then I went to the SFVIS 1989 Spring Show. I couldn't believe it. I
joined on the spot, and joined AIS as soon as I found out it existed,
and became a life member a couple years later when the rates were going
up. I've been editor if the SFVIS Irisarian for almost 4 years, and a judge
for 4 months. I really don't believe that I know enough about irises for
the latter, but my tutors (Herb & Sarah Holk, Judy Mogil, & Jeanne
Plank) disagree, so who ami I to argue? I was lucky enough to be asked
to judge three shows my first year, and I really enjoyed it.

Michelle and I got married in Varigay Gardens at the end of the Omaha
national, and we have attended each national since as an anniversary
present to ourselves. (Michelle is now in the process of becoming the AIS
insurance guru.) Among my most memorable iris experiences are the
Sass Memorial Garden, the Portland convention, and the Species Symposium
in St. Louis.

The only survivor from my early purchases is Harbinger, which I expect
to keep growing (it's now historical!). My favorite iris is Mesmerizer,
which is the flounciest iris I have ever grown, and the best rebloomer.
My favorite non-TB is the spuria Highline Snowflake.

I enjoy all the email a lot (when I have the time ;-) and I promise to
try to keep my unread total below 3000 messages.

Gerry Snyder