RE: Unwanted Brush

Louise Parsons wrote:

>	They "solarize" their ground to kill weed and grass seed.  Now
>	whenever I dig up an area, I cover the new unplanted bed with clear
plastic
>	and let the summer sun "cook" it for a few days.

This works, but we've found out by trial and error that black plastic is more
effective here than clear plastic.  A few days treatment seems to kill most
seeds.  A few weeks under black plastic kills even the nematodes.

Anyone have experience to report from other climates?  I realize southern NM
qualifies as extreme -- taking a barefoot stroll across our sand  in the summer
is most unwise, so you can imagine how hot the soil gets under plastic.

Sharon McAllister  (73372.1745@compuserve.com)