Re: ETIS spring bloom, champagne elegance

The strange weather this year (near zero spell in March) has affected local
gardens in all different ways - most are reporting very poor bloom and rot
problems more like the ones I usually have, which supports my theory that all
you folks helped me reach this spring about the rot prone-ness of my garden.
 Which is that my rocky soil warms up fast, triggering new growth, which then
is more vulnerable to late frosts, which are more severe and last longer in
my frost pocket, which causes more damage to plants, which allows more
opportunity for rot.  I may try experimenting with covering rhizomes with
soil  in the fall - can't make rot problems worse.

Most of the ETIS gardeners I have talked with report much lower than usual
bloom rate (around 50%), but one garden has really good bloom (>70%), at
least in the 'good' part of their garden.

I saw CHAMPAGNE ELEGANCE in two gardens in bloom, very pretty, small
flowered, short stalked (<2 ft?).  Everybody I talked to says it has pretty
bad rot problems, so doesn't always manage to bloom.  Clearly a big regional
difference in that one.

Saw nice displays of Alizes (some rot, but prolific bloom anyway), Grecian
Skies, Tennison Ridge, Cinnamon Girl (which apparently rots some but always
outgrows it and blooms well), Chocolate Marmalade, Coral Beads, Barbara Dawn,
Holy Night, Crystal Glitters, Wild West.  Hope this is of interest to rot
watchers. (And it is with great sorrow that I welcome Gunnar to the rot
club).