INFO: Bios (R-Z)

Hello All:
  I have just joined the group today.  I have an interest in general
gardening (vegetable and flowers), and also in garden ponds.  My primary
interest in irises is in building and planting a "reed" bed for my garden
pond.  I have read several posts about irises that do well in a reed bed,
and will be looking for information along that vein.  Charlie Rodgers
  e-mail addr:  rodgersc@bah.com

Now about myself, I joined this group a few weeks ago because like everyone
else I love irises, I live just south of the city of Calgary, Alberta, on a
small country acreage.  I grow siberians (my favourate), spurias ( almost
top favourate), chrysographes, graminea, pumillia, versicolour and a whole
bunch  of assorted hybrids and of course a bunch of once named varieties (
tags are wonderful for the first year, then after the first winter they seen
to get lost!!), I have tried lots of other types, with varing success.
The soil is very alkaline and mine is extremely silty, water is a huge
problem out here because it's quite salty, my husband an I are planning a
move in the next year-we are going to look for another acreage with a pond
for irrigation. I belong to AIS and SIGNA, and I also belong to NARGS,
APS,AGS, and some other garden groups.
I share my iris interests with alpines, primulas, hostas, and pretty much
most flowering plants, I haven't done much with shrubs, mostly because the
deer eat them, they eat lots of other things too, but it is easier to put
cages around small plants than big shrubs.
My other hobbies are white water canoeing, decoy duck carving, classical
music and my cats, I work now and then as a petroleum geologist and thats
Anne Savannah          savannah@cadvision.com
Box13 Site6 RR1        Tel:403-254-1243
DeWinton AB T0L 0X0    zone3b  min temp -40F  3500'

Hello There! I trust I am now speaking to the truly addicted, to irises
that is. We are relatively new gardeners - 6 years - and only 4 years into
irises, with this year representing the first committed to increasing our
collection extensively. Unfortunately, we are terrible at keeping variety
names straight and though I am working on it, it will take time to change
my ways. Many of the irises we have, mostly tall bearded, were gifts from
friend's originally and a good number were given to us by an iris breeder
as his rejects. I'd guess we have about 150 bearded clumps and a few
siberian, Japanese and dwarf varieties. The new ones this year will all be
reblooming irises, which in zone 5 will probably not be the success they
are in warmer spots. I'm particularly interested in knowing more about the
rebloomers and anyone's experience with them. TIA

Cheryl, in the fabulous Finger Lakes of New York - Zone 5

This is a brief message to introduce myself.  My name is Suzanne Sluizer and
I live in Albuquerque NM.  I am the vice president of two local iris groups:
the New Mexico Iris Society and the Albuquerque Aril Society.  I am also a
member of the American Iris Society and Aril Society International.  I am
presently an apprentice judge of the American Iris Society.

I have a small garden in which I grow a large variety of irises (I don't know
the exact number, but it's well over 500), around 30 roses and various other
plants.  I started hybridizing irises two years ago, so my first seedlings
should bloom this spring, which is very exciting.  My hybridizing efforts are
focused on median irises, particularly standard dwarf bearded irises (SDBs),
intermediate bearded irises (IBs) and miniature tall bearded irises (MTBs)
and the arilbred irises (ABs).  I have done some tall bearded (TB) crosses,
but they take up so much room that I decided it would be a more effective use
of space to concentrate on the smaller irises.

As a side note, if you haven't grown median irises, I would encourage you to
try them.  Not only are they beautiful, but they extend the iris season,
many of the smaller irises bloom long before the TBs.  If you can grow TB
irises in your climate, you should be able to grow medians.

In "real life," I am an adjunct professor of Computer Science at the
of New Mexico.  My areas of specialization are programming languages and
software engineering (which used to just be called programming).

Suzanne Sluizer

I'd like to introduce myself,  I'm a novice to listservs (please
be kind),  I have used internet for resources for many years and
have been growing iris in east-central Minnesota for about ten
years.  Eighteen inchs of snow is still on the ground.
Resently, my wife Jeanne and I has started to dabble in
breeding, crossing, or hybridizing some of our garden tenants.
But I will admit, primarily we grow the iris (TB, MTB, SDB, MDB
and Siberians) for ourselves.  Does this make us selfish?

Reading the bio's yesterday made me think how much I enjoyed reading about
others that I had been contacting without knowing anything about.  This Is a
copy of my bio that I sent to the Historical Iris Robin.  Some of you are on
the robin list.  Sorry for the extra copy.
Hello all.   I am Lonnie Strouth,  29 yo,  married to Jeannette.  2 kids
Joseph (4)  Samuel (16m).  I am from South West Virginia, Roanoke county.
 Zone 6/7.  I have been a member of the Blue Ridge chapter of area 4 A.I.S.
for two years, though I doubt that they know it.  I am a medical tech.  In a
large hospital system.  Thats a lab person to most vampire to some.  Ha ha.
 I have been growing iris myself for at least 17 or 18 years.
Depending on what you would call historical iris,  I'd say most of the ones
Have are quite old.  Nearly all I have were given to me by hundreds of
people.  People like to share plants.  Thats what I have learned.  If you see
something you like tell them how well you like it.  In turn many people have
been on the recieving end of my iris virus.  I have spread iris all over
Virginia,  Tenn. and N. carolina.  I have always liked growing plants.  When
in high school I had accumulated over 100 houseplants for my mother to take
care of when I left for college.  Fortunatly she killed most of those in my
absence.  I went to college in East Tenn.  at a very small school called
Tucsculum.  There I took up Biology.  Had a lot of chemistry and got out of
there papers in hand.  Then I had a year of post Grad at the hospital that I
now currently work for. Its a livin but thats about it.  I met Jeannette  at
Tusculum,  she moved up here to Roanoke.  We married bought an A-frame house
on 10.5 acres ... the rest is history.  I dont think Jeannette knew what kind
of plant problem I had untill we moved out in the bush.  The only thing
really keeping my plant problem in bounds is the fact that the land is 98%
wooded.   I bought a chainsaw last year in order to eeeeekk out a little more
space for my habitat.

Now back to the IRIS.  About five years ago I recieved about fifty
newer varieties of iris from an elderly Iris lady.  None of them labeled.
They Joined the hundreds of other no names.  I joined the local A.I.S.
and bought forty or so more.  These were properly labeled by the plant
folks in Roanoke.  I planted and labeled them.  Thinking that it would
be easy to keep up with the names.  I was wrong...  My then two year old
Joseph managed to pull up all the tags in less time than it took me to plant
them.  Try, try again.   I do have some distinctive iris that i did get to
see bloom before the tags were lost.  Why do I have an interest in historical
iris???  From what little I know about iris I can tell that the breeding is
going off in all directions.  These newer iris are truely inprovements of a
sort but they shouldnt replace the old form entirely.  I still like the
staying power of the old purple flags.  The narrow hafts.  the rounded falls
with a clean smooth edge.  Even the floppy ones.  I feel there can be a
merger between the old and new.  I have noticed that alot of the things I
like are still showing up in the intermediate bearded iris.  Have they not
been breed to death yet???   I dont know for sure but I suspect that the
sterility in some of the Iris I have was induced prematurely by the same
breeding that gave us the beutiful variety.  The fertility of the future can
be corrected in some cases by back crossing with your historical varietys.  I
would like to see the A.I.S.  get there Library to become something real,
instead of all talk.  But that takes lots of money doesnt it.

Anyway to make a longer story shorter.. I like The iris form already
mentioned in a blue purple neglecta, selfs and variegata yellow/red.  I am
pretty fond of Amoenas and I cant resist  the right plicata.  Guess i like
bitones too.  Lets face it I like them all.  EVEN the good substance well
branched ruffled and laced ones.  I have only reciently had a reason to care
about the names and lintage of a plant.

Hope you all can keep up with my poor spelling and grammar  its the
only thing they didnt manage to take away in all those years of school.
Mama cant spell either.

Lonnie Strouth

P.S.  Just bought this computer on my home equity loan.  Its my first.
I love it.  It may even help my spelling.  Its got spellcheck on one of the
other programs,  If I can just learn to use it.  Ha Ha.

I just subscribed to this list and have been asked to introduce myself.
My name is Herman van Beusekom. I am a nurseryman from The Netherlands.
I like to grow alpines only but
for a living I also need quit a collection of uncommon perennials.
This weekend our winter has gone. We had a long and severe winter
(although not as severe as over the ocean) which we normally do not
have. The temperatures went down to minus 15 degrees centigrade.
Normally we do have little snow here. We can have -up till the half of
may - very nasty wheather including many nightfrosts but frost overday
seems to be impossible since the sun is pretty high (and hot).
My lists of offerings (but I do not export) contains the following
humilis; chrysographes 'Black Form'; clausii; cristata 'Alba'; cristata
'Eco Little Bluebird';
'Gingerbread Man';  glockeana; gracilipes 'Lavender'; 'Greenspot';
lacustris; innominata;
'My Seedling'; pallida 'Argentea Variegata' ; ruthenica; setosa ssp.
canadensis; sibirica 'Berlin Bluebird'; sibirica 'Butter and Sugar';
tenuissima; rossii; unguicularis 'Oxford Dwarf'  and  unguicularis 'Mary
Bernard'. Next year I hope to bring quit a selection of dwarf cultivars.

In general Irisses are not very popular here. People are complaining
about the short flowering period. I for myself believe that the habitat
of an Iris is a must in rockgardens so I try to make people enthusiastic
about them.
So far for now. Good growing.

I thought it was time I tried to introduce myself, instead of just lurking.
Kathy Guest, ol' Iris Borer, herself, knows me from the Daylily Robin.  I
started with Bearded Iris and had about 200 but think I brought some disease
in or the old NW wet weather did it's thing, but I was doing so badly I got
into Siberian, Pacific Coast, Spuria, Louisiana, and Ensata.  Planted about
25 new ones of those this year.  I'm new to Spuria, but have had all the
others bloom at least once.  Slugs don't bother them, nor disease (so far, my
fingers are crossed, though!)  I really love the Beardeds but they don't like my
garden, yet.  I don't like to spray, but may have to, though with all the
spring rain, it might not help much.  I am going to try mulching to see if
that keeps leaf spot from developing and going to try something drastic to
cut back on slugs!

 The dwarfs did real well for me even when the TBs were not, but they didn't
bloom much last year.  And I can't keep any kind of bulb iris for long as
mice eat all bulbs except daffodils.

 Janis Whitcomb, Auburn, WA

I got interested in irises in 1982 when a few of them around a house
that I bought seemed to do well with my minimal care.  A catalog and
a visit to a local iris show were enough to start me adding more.
Although I've never grown more than a couple hundred at a time myself,
I do visit lots of other gardens and attend conventions.

I enjoyed working in Delaware as president of the local society to
establish a public demonstration garden.  We were fortunate that the
University of Delaware had an estate garden on its grounds that it could
not afford to maintain, and so we both benefited.  I also learned from
working with Carol Warner one summer at Draycott Gardens and helping
with a sectional convention.  I've been an AIS judge for about four

I moved to SW Ohio about 18 months ago, about on the zone 5-6 border,
bringing about 80 of my best from DE and adding a couple dozen more
that year.  This last summer I again reached my comfort level of 200
or so, roughly evenly divided between TB, IB-BB, MTB, SDB, and Siberian,
with about 20 JIs and some species.  I planted a few Spurias for the
first time too.  I've already had a couple of trees taken out so that
I can add a new bed for enough to go beyond comfort next year.  My
favorites are the Siberians, for their elegance as landscape plants
and for their ease of maintenance.  Among the bearded I like the MTBs
best, for their ability to avoid falling over, multiplicity of stalks,
and proportion for cutting.  But, there are really standouts in all

I'm so glad to see so much activity, and to again be in touch with
the Lowes, who used to visit us in Delaware.  Iris people are the

                --Jim   (wilsonjh@muohio.edu)

Jim Wilson, Applied Technologies, MCIS, Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056

My name is Doug Wood and I have been lurking here for a while now. I love to
grow things, corn and soybeans for a living and now iris for fun. I have
just joined AIS and our local group. There has been a patch of iris here for
years and now plan to add some new ones.

DWood    <woodoo@pionet.net>
nw IA (zone 4)

Hi everyone
I've been lurking all week-decided to introduce myself
I'm fairly new to Iris growing.  I live in Tucson, Arizona and started 4
years ago.
I grow 90% TB's.  The fall before last I put in a dozen Spurias, followed
this past fall by another dozen.  Spurias do extremely well in the desert
southwest, as do tall bearded.  I'm currently growing about 300,almost all
TB's, which is  about all I can comfortably grow at this time, you see, even
though I'm growing them in Tucson at my house, I work in Phoenix 120 miles
away, and only make it back to Tucson weekends. (This is only temporary-I
retire in 3 years)
My iris have slowly started to bloom, with about a dozen in various stages of
bloom or bud..
The peak in Tucson will be mid march to mid april - a far cry from May and
June in northern and eastern states.
I attended the AIS convention this past spring in York, and intend to be in
Sacramento for the AIS convention late April. .
We have active iris clubs in both Tucson and Phoenix; I'm a member of both.
My favorites:  Skating Party (a huge white), Merry Madrigal, Heather Blush,
Before the Storm (my first year for this near-Black TB-it was a big 'hit' in
York last spring), and  Persian Berry.
The Phoenix Iris Club (Sun Country) had a wonderful speaker this past week,
Dr. John Weiler, hybridizer of 'reblooming' iris.  In case you're not aware
what they are-they are iris that generally bloom not only in spring, but at
least once more, usually summer or fallor winter, and some of the newer
reblooming iris are really spectacular.  Some even bloom for months on end.
They need additional water in the summer, however, but after seeing his
slides, i'm going to place an order this summer for a 'reblooming' area of my
The Tucson Area Iris Society has it's monthly meeting Feb 10 and the speaker
is Keith Keppel, who will speak on 'The History of the Plicata Iris'. I'm
fortunate that the Phoenix meetings are on a weekday and the Tucson meetings
on a weekend-I can attend both.

Sam Wymer in Tucson AZ