list of subscribers / listserver commands (was Re: Iris Evansia)

  • To: iris-l@Rt66.com
  • Subject: list of subscribers / listserver commands (was Re: Iris Evansia)
  • From: tlittle@Lanl.GOV (Tom Tadfor Little)
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 08:47:30 -0600

Carolyn writes:

:This might be the wrong heading --
:
Yes, it is. When the subject is no longer Iris Evansia, it's time
to change the subject line!

:Queston for listsever:  Is there a master list of addresses for members of
:this LIST?

In your welcome message, there are instructions for obtaining such
a list from the listserver.

A note to all about listserver commands: Remember that the listserver
is a computer program. It's not very tolerant of creative variations
in the commands you send. (For example, the command for digest mail
is SET IRIS-L MAIL DIGEST, those four words, in that order. No
other combination will work.) So when you send a command, follow the
instructions exactly. If there's something wrong with the command you
send, the listsever will send back an error message telling you what
the problem is. Since the messages are computer-generated, they
are rather cryptic. But if you read the error message carefully, you
can usually deduce what went wrong.

If you just can't get a listserver command to work, let me know and
I'll see what I can do. But pay attention first. About 3/4 of the
requests for help that I get are from people not following the
instructions and not reading the error message that comes back.

Happy irising, Tom.