INFO: Bios (A-H)

Note: Those marked * are not currently subscribed to Iris-L.

I'm a new AIS member and have been growing TBs for many years.  Last year, we
added several dozen from Cooley's catalog, along with some Siberians a friend
sent me.  I'm very eager to add some Japanese iris this year and have sent
for a catalog.

We live in Central Ohio and garden in spite of heavy alkaline clay.  The
flower beds are much augmented with peat moss and compost for the ease of the
gardener, who doesn't like to chip plants out of bricks!  In addition, it
enables us to
grow flowers that don't appreciate being incased in cement, --like iris!

We also grow daylilies, daffodils, peonies, and shrub roses, in addition to
other perennials.

Connie Abel
Powell, Ohio, AIS, no idea what AIS region!!

Dear iris friends,

Although I'm a relative newcomer to the iris world. (5 years in the iris
society), I'm definitely an enthusiast.

When we moved to a 2.5 acre lot on the southern outskirts of Denver, I
started buying irises in all the bearded classes and I began hybridizing.  We
grow about 800 named varieties and I have about 1000 seedlings.

I enjoy entering shows, I have become a Garden Judge, and am a director of
the Aril Society International and of AIS Region 20.  I'm a teacher in the
Cherry Creek district.  Three more years to retirement and full time irising!

Some highlights of my iris-related experiences have been visiting the gardens
of Ben Hager and Keith Keppel in California (which I wrote about in the
Bulletin) and attending the Albuquerque Aril Society show the past 2 years.
 In my opinion, the aril seedlings of the late Howard Shockey are the
outstanding hybridizing achievement of recent years, and he always showed
them at the AAS show.

Lowell Baumunk
Littleton, Colorado

Good Evening...I am fairly new to the iris list...and I have been, as you
all say, lurking. I live between MT. Shasta and Klamath Falls on Hwy 97,
Still on the California side. This is the first time I have moved in my 62
years, used to live in Loomis. Here we have snow and our zone is 6. I read
the Sunset Garden Book and they had us listed as zone 1...thats Alaska! I
left many of my plants at the old home place because of that. I did get
brave and plant 160 iris and now I have put in some roses and of course, the
rock garden plants. I love the iris, from the bearded to the least little
species. Right now we are covered with snow. This is hopefully the last snow
we will get this year. I am not a snow person. We raise mammoth spotted
donkeys, walking horses and Boston Terriers too.
Our farm is bounded on all sides by BLM land so no one will ever build
around us. We have 200 ft. Ponderosa Pines all around us and some Juniper
trees too. It is a wonderful place to live...If Mt. Shasta doesn't try to
outdo Mt. St. Helens. In the greenhouse I grow begonias and ferns, if I
didn't have the greenhouse I would go stircrazy with all the snow and no
gardening. I just wanted you all to know that I really enjoy every note that
comes my way.
Thanks again for the pleasure you all bring.
Golden Hills Nursery   (916)398-4203
Begonias, Ferns and perennials
Macdoel, Ca. 96058   Zone 6
"The love of gardening is a seed that once sowed never dies"
Gertrude Jekyll

Having lurked for a couple of days, perhaps I too should do the decent thing
and introduce myself.

I live in Hampshire, UK, which is roughly halfway along the bottom bit of
England.  Temperatures here are quite mild for the latitude (I think that's
the right one -?) with winter minimum temperature of -8C  and summer maximum
about 32C.  Mostly though it hovers around the median.

Personal Iris interests centre upon the more alpine species, but the bearded
ones in the border do their bit too!  Recent acquisitions include I. attica
and I. ruthenica nana, but my pride & joy are my I. cycloglossa which I
raised from seed and which haven't even flowered yet...   Maybe 1996?

Ever hopefully  -  Ian Black

I got the Iris bug about 1985 and went to my first AIS convention at
Phoenix in 1986 or 87.  I now grow over 2000 varieties, all the
bearded, SPU, Louisianas, and even a few Arilbred.  I have over 250
varieties that rebloom, but not all at once.  I am membership
secretary for the Reblooming iris society and if you have questions
about rebloomers, I will try to help.  Hope to see some of you in
Sacramento in April.  Charlie Brown

Hello everyone:

Tom asked us to post a brief introduction so that's what I'm doing! I'm
beginning iris grower in Zone 6. Irises have always been one of my
favorite flowers - but it's only recently that I've gotten interested in
growing them. So, I'm on this list to learn as much as possible about
irises and growing irises - all types - and to, hopefully, contribute
from my own new experiences.

I planted a new bed of bearded irises this past summer and had excellent
growth from the flags before winter. I hope that our terribly harsh
winter hasn't hurt them! The bearded irises I planted this year are all
pastels - a pastel iris bed - which I'm looking forward to! I hope to do
another iris bed with blues and purples. I also have a small bed with
some Dutch irises. I want to try other types of irises, particularly the
Japanese varieties. Is it true those can be grown in some shade?  I'm
interested in planting some Japanese irises on the northwest exposure of
my house.

Looking forward to participating in the list!

Rosemary Carlson
Lexington, KY
Zone 6

I've been lurking on the list for a week or so and I've finally
decided to introduce myself. My name is Simone Clark I have a small suburban
garden in Canberra Australia. I grow mainly TBs, some dwarfs and a few
species (including pond iris'). I have been growing iris' for about 3.5
years now and have finally got clumps big enough to divide and spead around
to friends.

Canberra is the National Capital and is 2-3 hours south west of
Sydney, we have a fairly dry climate of zone 8-9. Summer days are often hot
and windy (30-40=B0C) and winter nights are often frosty (usually about -3=
to -5=B0C). Rainfall is uniform but light (only about 650mm/year). We dont
often get snow but we can see snow on the hills from our kitchen window. The
climate seems ideal for growing iris- Ive heard rumours about rot but I've
never seen it.

I work for the CSIRO (a major government research agency) in the
Division of Entomology doing research on entomopathogenic nematodes
(translation- nematodes that kill insects). These nematodes can be used as
environmentally friendly pesticides.

I havent done anything fancy like trying to do crosses of my own as
I simply dont have any space to grow any more unless I pull up my husbands
Japanese maples!

I'm looking forward to learning from and contributing to the list in the

Simone Clark

My first garden plants were iris.  I helped my mother dig a twenty year
old bed, 8 x 8, of old, hierloom bearded iris (at tall white, and medium
blue/purple), and ended up with several hundred (it seemed) extra
rhizomes, which I put in several locations through my yard.  Since i've added
about twenty other bearded cultivars, and grown several Dutch Iris varieties
and a miniature bulbous iris, too!
Our area is obviously ideal for bearded iris, judging by the stands of
flags in pastures, surrounding the foundations of long-gone homes, though I've
only seen a couple of clumps of Siberian, and don't think I've ever seen
Japanese, Louisiana, or I. cristata.
It's great to have a gardening list to talk over one of my favorite
plants with fellow gardeners.  I expect to learn a lot!

Scott Corbin
Madill, OK  Zone 7  (Southcentral...in the arms of Lake Texoma)

All Hail To The robin
This the first time I have had the courage to enter this group in writing .I
do have reams of your erudite and nutty conversations .We are the Davis,
Dirty Hands Doug & Mother Muriel. We live in Southern Cal., Long Beach, to be
precise .We live near the L.A. River ,so our soil is fine silt. It is so fine
that water sensetive South African plants easily  die from lack of water
with regular watering . We have composted
Does it help to know everything for 30 yrs. and still the soil is WELL
DRAINED. O Well. We grow most of our own salad materials ,tomatoes for
canning & drying,, herbs for year round  use ,oranges, lemons, limes
,linequats, avocados ,and plums .We live in town on a city lot and a half.
Ours is the original farm house for this area .Years ago I had quite an iris
garden I even did some hybridizing. With an up and growing family most of
that" went the way of." Im trying to get back into growing iris again. Our
soil will grow arils quite well. I want to also grow Japanese Iris, and TBs.
To help round out who we are, I paint, grow Bonsai ,do butterfly gardening
(really), feed hummingbirds ,collect Mud men(20-40s Chinese figures),collect
depression glass(Fire king ,) My wife collects Princess Pattern Depression
Glass and we take care of the grand children, A LOT. We have more to say
 than this, but Ill let it go for now.
like Southern CAso I expect you wont have problems.( Cheryl & Erich
Well let me tell you about our problems: First of all, with out frequent
earthquakes  TB"s are almost out of the question because there is structural
damage to such high rise iris .After each tremor there are acres of TBs
 shattered  because they were poorly designed and constructed.  The
miniatures  do much better during earthquakes. Now ,as to the wild fires
  that regularly sweep the country side, the TBs again do poorly .When we
have whats called a crown fire ,the fire sweeps across and burns the
blossoms  of the tops of  the TBS. The miniatures do well unless we have
whats called a ground fire .Then they are in trouble. FLOODS: We like floods
because our soil can use the water. ( WE are well drained ( The soil))
    RE-BLOOMING:  Im  afraid I dont understand .We may have a problem. We
didnt know that they were supposed to stop blooming. How can we in SO. CAL.
Get ours to stop blooming so that we can be more like every one else ? Can
you get back to me on this? COLD: WE had to put long pants on the other day.
Until later
Dirty Hands Doug & Mother Muriel

Hello All:

I am Lee DeJongh in frozen {at the moment} Rhinelander, WI, USDA zone 3.  I
have been a member of the Am Iris Soc for about one year and am also a
member of the Am Hemerocallis Soc.  I grow all sorts of flolwers but the two
major ones are irises (TB,Siberians,Dwarf) and daylilies.  I've grown irises
for forty years but just two years ago moved to where I could really
establish a planting.  I have only about 60 varieties as of now but looking
forward to rapid expansion with some advice from those with more knowledge
of particular varieties.

Maybe we'll have some info to share.  I belong (subscribe) to a daylily
robin and many of those folks are from warmer climes so it is tough
sometimes to sift through the advice.  As far as my climate, it is zone 3,
40 below or more this winter and we have had now 8 and 1/2 months of
continuous snow cover. I'm ready for it to go any day.

I really have not had any trouble with tall beardeds, but really only
expanded my plantings last year with outside iris other than local grown.  I
planted many from Schreiner's and Cooley's and we will see shortly how they
stood up to the weather.  I'll let you know.  But I should add that I
normally plant and grow Zone 5 things maybe because we are blessed with such
abundant and dependable snow cover and so mercifully do not have free-thaw

I am a comparative novice to Siberians, I have grown them only a few years
and I like them very much but so far have not been very successful in
flowering them.  I planted some Japanese last year but I didn't do well with
them.  If you have been successful, I'll have to try harder.

Have you tried any Loisianas?  I think they are beautiful but wonder if I
would be foolish to try them so far north.

Pseudocorus does well here.

Lee DeJongh in currently frozen Rhinelander,WI  Zone 3

Hi all!
        My name is Suzy Ewell in Colorado Springs. I'm the Region 20
newsletter editor and we have just started to get together a Region E-Mail
Directory. With the help of Lowell Baumunk, we also have publicized the Iris
Homepage in this Spring's newsletter.
Yes, I'll be in Sacramento too and think a geek reunion will be great.
        I've been growing irises for about 12 years (at 7300 ft. elevation)
and spent 6 of those years trying to get seeds to germinate. I finally
followed the directions in the AIS Bulletin two years ago and finally have
babies. WOW !! Many happy irises and see you in Sacramento.      Suzy Ewell

Hello, all!  I am an irisarian gardening in Newfield, N.Y. (near Ithaca, home
of Cornell University).  I've been raising irises for 10+ years, and have
also been an AIS member about that long.  Started out with TBs, like most
folks.  Dabbled with arils and arilbreds, not terribly successfully, though I
still grow a few.

Got interested in Siberians, started collecting those and joined the Siberian
Iris Society.  My next infatuation was with Japanese irises, so now have some
of them and below to the Society for Japanese Irises.  Also got interested in
species, and joined the Species Iris Group of North America.  I'm also a
member of the Spuria section, though I have only half a dozen of those, and
they're proving challenging.

This Christmas brought me memberships in HIPS and the Median Section, so now
I'm hopelessly overextended on section memberships.   Just keeping up with
the publications is challenging.  I probably have about 250 different
varieties of irises; mostly TBs, with smaller amounts of nearly everything
else. I'd like to know how people manage to keep up with 1,000 varieties or

I' ve been to several AIS conventions, which I enjoy enormously.  Probably
will not make it to Sacto this year, but have reservations for the M.A.S.S.
(Mad about Species and Siberians) event--or is it Mad About Siberians and
Species)?  I'm finding the "mini" conventions every bit as much fun as the
nationals.  They're also a terrific learning experience.  Hope this list is,
also.  Thanks to all who have made it possible!
Dorothy Fingerhood

I am new to the iris.  Every couple of years a new plant grabs my intention
and this is the year for the iris.  I have been eyeing them for the past
couple of years, but never endulged.   I have much to learn about the iris.
I am a member of a few societies here in Raleigh, NC and enjoy the learning
experiences I get from them.  Also the cutting exchanges gives me a nice
variety of plants.
I plan to join the Iris Society here in Raleigh area.  For the meantime, any
advice for planning an iris bed would be greatly appreciated.  What are some
of your favorite plans in laying out an iris bed?  I ordered a few from
Schreiners's Gardens to me started.

Thanks to all.

Raleigh, NC

I happened upon this list today and immediately subscribed since
I have started growing beardless iris recently.  Since I live in
Zone 3, I have a small garden of Siberians and Japanese....hope-
fully to get bigger soon.  My mother grew bearded iris years ago
but I like the clean-shaven kind.

As soon as the snow is gone and the frost leaves us here in Northern
New Hampshire and the mud season takes its leave, I will be out
in my little garden having fun!

Ellen Gallagher

Not to be a list hog, but I jumped in with a question before I saw a
request for introductions.....

In addition to my struggling Siberians and my thriving I. pseudocorus I
have several varieties (a piddling 10 probably) of bearded iris--these
are not my favorites.  I grow the I. cristata, have a few Japanese Iris
varieties (including the only rarity I have in my collection--one with
variegated foliage that is not really commerically available yet--they
were selling a few at the Middleburg, VA Garden Symposium last March), a
Louisiana hybrid "Black Gamecock" and, against my better judgment I
planted some dutch iris this year (love the flowers, hate the foliage).

I love all gardening, but I'd say my greatest interest is in perennials
and native plants of all types.  I do want to expand my
plantings of water-loving iris of all types.

Debbie Green

I might be backing up, but I see that people are introducing themselves, so I
will too.  My name is Kathy Guest and I am tickled pink that Tom has started
this list.  I've been on the Daylily list since late summer and it's a
wonderful medium.

I do my iris gardening in East Aurora, NY (suburb of Buffalo) and, although I
grow every kind of iris that will tolerate our climate, I have special
affection for the beardless types.  I was just elected RVP of Region 2 and I
was chair of the WNY Iris group for 4 years.  Our philosophy is "this is
supposed to be fun", so we try to keep a good mix of education and
socializing in our club.

I belong to the Japanese and Iris sections and I'm considering the species.
 I love the modern varieties best and have only a couple of 'historics'.  My
screen name is "Irisborer" because my sweet husband, Leonard, (a
non-gardener) was present at a talk I gave once where I mentioned the
"dreaded iris borer", he thought I said "iris BORE" and said that this
describes me!  He struck me funny.

Kathy Guest (I don't think I'm boring at all!)

I am new to this list and would like to introduce myself and then add my
two-bit about the subject at hand. My name is Karin Hinsen and I live in
Santa Cruz California. No snow on the ground here. In fact I have Iris
starting to bloom (TB) I have alot of garden space to work with and have
been trying my hand at hybridizing for years. I think a program given by
masters would be great. I feel like I am having to reinvent the wheel in my
breeding program. Joe Ghio is part of our local iris society so I pick his
brain but it seems like so much of the genetic information that I need at
this time is treated like propriatary (sp) information. On the AIS homepage
there was a example of a genetic data base on iris lineages that I found
very informative. That would be something that I could really use. I know
that it is available in books put out by the AIS but it is incredibly
convoluted and spread out over many volumes. Any way I think that a training
would be a good idea.

Hello, everyone!

We are new to Iris-L.

We are interested in collecting antique and historic iris from three
Dykes Medal winners, James Kirkland, Clarence Connell, and Jesse Wills.
We have located about eight of these iris, including the Dykes Medal
winners, but are also interested in their other lesser known hybrids.
We have a fairly accurate listing of these iris and will be glad to
share this with anyone out there familiar with these hybridizers from

Jim and Sharon Hogge
Nashville, Tennessee
c/o hoggejh@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.edu

My name is Jules Hojnowski.  I like to grow Japanese, Tall bearded,
Siberians, and Lousiana Iris. I'm currently working with Kathy Guest to
produce a web page for Japanese Iris.  If you have any suggestions for iris
that you would like to see on the web, please feel free to let me know, and
I'll see
what I can do.  I live in Ithaca, NY and work at Cornell University with

Thanks!  Hope to hear from all of you soon!

I'm a new list member as of two days ago.  My mother has always had iris
in the garden, and I have helped her collection by getting some colors I
did not remember her having.  I know them by sight, but am lacking in any
other information/knowledge.  I want to learn.

We are in the process of buying a house, and I have a nice garden spot
picked out and can hardly wait to dig in (pardon the pun).  I want to put
in a couple of dwarf citrus, some roses and iris to start.  I need to
know more about them (space, companion plantings, spacing, hardiness, and
the rest).  I am in southern California, the Los Angeles area.  I noticed
some of you are putting in zone numbers, where do you look that up?

Would appreciate pointers, books to read, and the like.  We are moving to
a higher desert area, both colder and hotter than where we are now.  Also
more wind conditions.    Up till now, we have lived in an apartment, &
have a tiny shaded "garden" that has mostly potted plants, from jade
plants to pregnant onions to roses, both minis and bush types.  I can
grow African Violets on the window ledge successfully; and figure a real
garden to be a treat worth waiting for.  I finally have a sunny location!

I do not know about garden clubs in our new town, but will find out in a
month or so.  We are in the process of learning more about our new
location other than how to get to the house and back out to the freeway
without getting lost ;)  and so I figure the grocery store first and then
the local nursery.

I look forward to meeting you on the list.

Pat Hollenbeck

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to the list, which I heard about
simultaneously from a member of a local iris society and through a
post on rec.gardens.  It was a welcome surprise!

I joined in order to get iris-specific info and make contacts,
especially in the Virginia area.  I live in Ashland, Virginia (about
15 miles N of Richmond).

My primary interest is southeast U.S.
natives, but I also grow sibs, JIs, louisianas, various beardeds, and
a few more exotic irids (Neomarica, Dietes).

Now that I've made my introduction, I think I'll sit back for a few
days to form a picture of what is going on here.  I welcome any
contact from fellow listers who share my interests and may be
interested in trades.

Thanks to all involved in making the list happen!

Dustin, who is under about 6 inches of melting snow, and looking
forward to 50 degree weather in the next few days.