rot tolerance, cultivars etc

Lee asked - <<My question is this:  Does the foliage of TBs vary with respect
to cold
hardiness?   Is it predictable with respect to cultivar?...  If so, how can
one tell, apart from trying to raise the cultivar in question?>>

Yes, yes, and ask everybody for their list of plants that have had late
freeze/rot problems and those that didn't, especially in your area.  Clarence
and others on this list have said that studying pedigrees helps pick out
varieties that will do well, but I certainly don't know enough to do that.
 Some have suggested only buying from growers within your general climate
zone, but those zones don't account for rainfall, humidity, or frequency and
severity of these spring cold spells.  Is there a 'climate zone' map that
combines total rainfall with winter low temperatures?  I think east
Tennessee/western North Carolina are in the highest rainfall area in the
country, if that's worth bragging about.

I think it would be nice if newly introduced iris included in the sale
catalog description where in the country it has been grown - sort of like the
list for re-bloomers.

linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com e tenn usa