Re: Iris borer

Hi Gang: We must remember that Chris lives up in Canada where winter  starts
a lot earlier than it does for us in either New England, New Jersey or
Virginia.  As winter descends from the North Pole the borer moth lays its
eggs at the proper LOCAL time.

The active ingredient from the walnut (either black or English) that poisons
the soil is called JUGLONE.  I have found that small amounts of walnut leaves
incorporated into the soil will not cause any problems. It is only after the
leaves from walnut trees have covered the same area over a period of years
that little, if anything, will grow.

Regards Dave Silverberg in sunny Oregon where my first 2 siberians (LAVENDER
LIGHT and LAVENDER SWIRL bloomed on May 5)