Needs help with bacterial soft rot

In Sept. 94 we built a raised bed for our TBs.  Soil was a mix of topsoil,
Allgro (an organic compost) and sand - a bed I planned as the ideal iris
enviornment.  This spring approx. 1/3 of the irises have what appears to be
bacterial soft rot.  Questions:  1)  How should I treat this problem?  2) Is
there a drench or some treatment for the soil in the bed?  3)  How can I
avoid this in the future and/or are there rot resistant varieties?  4)  Where
did this come from ? (the bed is kept scrupulously clean).  In 15 years of
growing irises this is the first time I have had this problem.
 Coincidentally, (I think) I am finding 3-4 grubs (chafer) per plant, just
under the rhizomes.  Does this warrant treatment?  (For grubs in the lawn I
treat with beneficial nematodes when necessary.)  Claire McCormack,
Rochester, NY aka Claire190@aol.com