Re: hardy iris foliage

Hello All:

Following our recent(last week) 14 inch snowfall, I have observed a new (to
me) phenomenon and wanted to share and gather thoughts, if any.

I had earlier posted a list of those TBs which survived our winter, -45 F.
unmulched, but with snow cover.

These same iris were all about 4 inches or so in height when we got the
snow.  The temperature was not terribly low, it hovered around 32 F. but the
iris were covered for about 48 hours.  Most of the cultivars did not turn a
hair.  Some have damage to the tips of their leaves, some are mush but the
small shoots and the rhizomes are perefectly okay or kinda okay so I don't
think there will be any losses.  Bloom may be lost, however.

My question is this:  Does the foliage of TBs vary with respect to cold
hardiness?  It looks like the answer is, YES.  Is it predictable with
respect to cultivar?  I don't know at this time.

This is of some importance to me because I can typically rely on late Spring
snowstorms like this one.

In daylilies we have evergreens, semievergreens and dormants, and,
predictably my evergreens did not like the snow AT ALL.  Is there a similar
state in TBs?  If so, how can one tell, apart from trying to raise the
cultivar in question?

If there is any interest, I can post the list of tough foliaged TBs and
tender TBs to the list.

I don't grow many dwarfs yet, but JARED went bonkers and spread all over in
one short season.  I was amazed when I removed the leaves the other day.  WOW!

BTW, CREATIVE STITCHERY has survived BAD rot which reduced it to half a
rhizome and is sending out little shoots.  I dug up SPRING PARASOL which
looked lost and I have about an inch of rhizome with some roots and it seems
firm so I replanted it; there's still hope, eternal hope.

Lee DeJongh in Rhinelander WI zone 3  region 8  where the loons are calling
each morning and evening.