re:Iris Labels

        Just a suggestion on labels ...

        I wanted to have labels which were relatively long lasting but not so
noticable as the commercial metal uprights would be in a mixed perennial border.
I am using 1 inch wide by 8 inch long pieces of leftover cedar shingles with an
alluminum nursery tag glued on using a hot-melt glue gun. The nursery labels are
about 3/4 inch by 3 inches and are easily marked with a ballpoint pen leaving a
impression which is permanent and easy to read. After one season the shingles
have weathered in color but show no signs of rot (they are inserted maybe 2
inches deep) and none of the labels have come off. The only drawback is that one
cannot read them from a standing position.

        If I could pick any material I would like something resembling a 8 inch
wooden stick label but made of copper. These could be stamped with a hammer and
individual letter stamps.