Re: MDBs for warm climates (was Re: pumilas!)

> Hager managed to sustain colonies of I. pumila in Stockton
>by growing masses of them from seed each year. Not only did this
>breed in tolerance for warmer winters, but even when many dwindled
>and died out there were always more seedlings coming along to bloom.

Thanks for this information Tom!  When one wonders what real hybridizers will
do to develop new and improved cultivars, this little story about Ben Hager
will be great to pass on!  As one who approaches iris breeding as an
interesting diversion rather than a serious vocation, I stand in awe of those
who approach it as a great undertaking, e.g. Hager, Terry Aitken, Sterling
Innerst, Robert Schreiner, Dave Niswonger, etc.  And I have
never...never...thought spending $25,$35, $40, $50 or (in the case of
IMMORTALITY) $100 was too much to spend for a new introduction considering
the effort that went into the creation of a new iris.  When one considers
that Lloyd Zurbrigg spend a lifetime (more than 40 years) to create a well
formed dependable reblooming iris like IMMORTALITY, how could one question
its value?  Thanks again for the story! Clarence Mahan in VA