Re: master catalog

LMann76543@aol.com wrote:

> Bob wrote:
>>I've gotten rhizomes from lots of people, but very few of them
>>know the names of the varieties. Is there a "master catalog",..
>
> Don't we wish!  Some varieties are distinctive enough that they can be pretty
> readily identified from a photo.  Others....well...That's why some on the
> list server have suggested throwing them away if they can't be readily
> identified - you will never be sure that the name you have is the right one.

Now that we have technology like Photo CD and Gigabytes of storage, has anyone
suggested to the AIS that new introductions be accompanied with a digitized photo
along with whatever the appropriate description is. Burning (making) a CD is
inexpensive now ($10 for the blank) and getting cheaper. I know there would be lots
of organizational problems, but it should be managable.
--
Fax:                     |  (510) 795-9723
John Jones, 35572 Linda Dr., Fremont CA, 94536
jijones@ix.netcom.com, USDA zone 8 (coastal, bay)