re: halo, umbrata, aurata, luminata

Linda writes

:Except I have yet to grow an Emma Cook (aurata?) successfully here - would
:CLASSICO be considered an aurata?.  It's tough.

The Emma Cook pattern and the aurata pattern is different. The Emma Cook
is when the blue or violet pigment is found only in a solid band (no
plicata veins) around the falls. The standards do not have the blue/violet.

The aurata (or flavescens) pattern is a pattern involving the yellow
(or pink or orange) pigment. The standards have the yellow color, usually
pretty solid, and the falls have only a rim of yellow.

There is a similarity, of course, because both involve a rim of color
around the falls. But the Emma Cook pattern is a pattern of the blue
or violet pigments, whereas the aurata is a pattern of the yellow or
pink pigments...and in the Emma Cook pattern the pigment is suppressed
in the standards.

:
:I think we got two different explanations of luminata - one is darker pigment
:between the veins and one is a white wash in the center of the fall....I am
:not completely confused - yet.  Is it both?

We were all trying to get at the same thing different ways. The luminata
pattern is a marbling between the veins. The white (or yellow) area is on
the hafts and style crests (the center of the flower, not the same thing
as the center of the falls). From a distance, a luminata looks like a
dark flower with a bright heart. Up close, you can see that the dark areas
on the standards and falls are really sort of marbled, with lighter veins.
:
:Is the heredity of these color patterns written up somewhere?

Yes. There were quite a few Bulletin articles on the subject in ancient
times. The genetics chapter in _The World of Irises_ summarized what is
known about these patterns quite well.