Re: luminata, terminology, etc

>Clarence mentioned SUKY is a double zonal - I can't find a picture in the
>catalogs I have.  Is that double on the falls?   Or maybe a zone in the
>standards too?

SUKY has large white zonal areas around the beards on the falls, and large
white zonal area in the standards, hence "double zonal."  About the same time
as SUKY was introduced several double zonals appeared, but the solid white
zonal pattern on the falls of SUKY are, I believe the most pronouced.  Of the
three other violet irises with double zonals that came out in the early 90's,
I have rated Mary Dunn's CITY LIGHTS the best.  Although the zonal pattern is
not as solid in the falls, CITY LIGHTS is very lovely and in all respects an
excellent iris.  I rate SPEED LIMIT a bit lower than CITY LIGHTS because  it
sometimes leans (but I have seen it growing perfectly straight in some
gardens).  SPEED LIMIT has on occasion rebloomed in some areas. The third
double zonal violet iris is CYCLES, which is very tall and perhaps not quite
as well formed as CITY LIGHTS and SPEED LIMIT. This is more information than
was requested, but I thought you might be interested based on your question..
 Clarence Mahan in VA