re: roundup

Roundup works really well for between row weed control - I am afraid to spray
too close to the irises, though I do spray over the top of the fescue in the
sort of abandoned beds where only the toughest survive.  Usually when I am
going to plant in a new area, I start spraying with Roundup at least a month
before planting.  Fescue often takes two doses to really kill it in the
spring especially, and for thick turf or pasture, it takes a while for the
roots to shrivel enough to make it easy to till.  I am spraying some stuff
now for my summer batch of iris planting.  That will give it 3 to 5 months.
 Dead grass does indeed make a wonderful thatch mulch.

Roundup is the only herbicide I am comfortable using - it's relatively
non-toxic to non-plants (people, pets, and wildlife, including insects) and
breaks down rapidly in the environment - some of the others are 'not a
problem' because they are adsorbed by soil particles.  What happens to it
then?  It just stays there, uh huh.  It's a nuisance to use because it needs
several hours of sunlight to get absorbed by the plants and of course no wind
for application.

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com e tenn usa