"neglecta": the untold story

A few days ago, I joked that perhaps "neglecta" comes from
amoenas being more popular, and hence neglectas are neglected.

I went home and tried to find if there was in fact any
story behind the name. The usual weighty tomes were silent
on the matter, but the Adamgrove catalog (which has a very
interesting page on terminology, by the way) says that the
name "neglecta" does in fact come from the idea that these
irises were passed over (neglected) in the attentions of
the iris growers of the day (19th century).

Given that "amoena" means "pleasing", it looks like my silly
joke may have some truth in it after all.

Happy irising, Tom.

Tom Tadfor Little      telp@Rt66.com   -or-   tlittle@LANL.gov
Telperion Productions               http://www.rt66.com/~telp/