Re: weed control around TBI

>Will the TBs, as they increase, choke out the weeds?

I have to agree wholeheartedly with Kathy Guest on this point, at least in
our climate.  The opposite is much more likely.

I also think that there's no substitute for hand cultivating and
weeding--besides, it's very therapeutic!  Doesn't that dandelion look like
Boss So-and So?  Yank her out by the roots!  That clump of purslane resembles
an insolent auto mechanic.  Slice him off at the ground! You get the idea.

                                  ***DISCLAIMER ***
The following is not a personal recommendation, or even pc,  only an
observation!

Another alternative that I know some folks use is herbicide, for example,
Round-Up.  I understand that it can work fairly well, IF you follow
precautions, and don't get any on the irises themselves, or allow spray drift
due to wind.  HOWEVER,  I have also seen the resulting damage to irises that
did get hit with some, so I would proceed with extreme caution if you decide
to go this route.  But I know it is done, and perhaps someone who has had
personal experience could comment further.

Good luck in your weed control efforts.  If it ever stops raining here, I'll
be trying to deal with them, also.

Dorothy Fingerhood
DFingerhoo@aol.com
Newfield, NY  (Zone 4 and getting farther behind every day)