Re: weed control around TBI Roundup

At 01:37 PM 5/4/96 MDT, you wrote:
>Another alternative that I know some folks use is herbicide, for example,
>Round-Up.  I understand that it can work fairly well, IF you follow
>precautions, and don't get any on the irises themselves, or allow spray drift
>due to wind.  HOWEVER,  I have also seen the resulting damage to irises that
>did get hit with some, so I would proceed with extreme caution if you decide
>to go this route.  But I know it is done, and perhaps someone who has had
>personal experience could comment further.
Hello all,

I have personal experience with Roundup and I use it but here's the story.
At my previous address, I was confronted with gardens that were at least 100
years old and had been neglected for 20 years.  The ground was starved for
humus and it resembled pure brick.  I started by incorporating organic
matter and the soli and plants responded well.  I planted TBs among other
things and initially they did well.  HOWEVER, I neglected the garden for one
stressful summer and the dreaded quackgrass took over.  The next year I
pulled and pulled and weeded and weeded and it worked for a few weeks but
the quackgrass was TOO much for me.  Then, I discovered Roundup and I was
fairly careful to try not to get it on any ornamentals.  It did a wonderful
job on the quackgrass.  Unfortunately, it also did a wonderful job on the
TBs, the more expensive the cultivar, the quicker it died, although maybe
that was coincidence.  The only iris that survived this treatment were two
border iris.  ALL THE REST DIED.  The daylilies were injured but survived,
the shrubs were not touched.  If I had it to do over, here is how I would
proceed.  I'd wait until about transplanting time, i.e. July.  Then I would
dig all the iris leaving the weeds.  Let the iris rest for a while.  Spray
the heck out of the weeds with Roundup.  It is safe to plant after two
weeks.  Then replant in the midst of the dying weeds and voila! you should
be satisfied with the results.  Roundup will KILL any actively growing green
thing it touches.

What I do now is spray patches of lawn with Roundup, wait two weeks, dig
little holes and plant my flowers.  A friend asked me what my strange brown
mulch was.  It was dead lawn.  The advantage is that you have a builtin
mulch and you don't disturb the soil too much to bring up weed seeds.  It
works very well for me.  But I would not advise Roundup around active iris.
Mine appeared to be VERY sensitive to it.

Lee DeJongh in sunny Rhinelander WI where the ice is shifting on the lake,
we are kayaking and canoeing and the kids, hardy buggers, have even been in