weed control around TBI

I have another weed problem... a while back I posted about how to
mulch TBIs... the consensus is that mulch promotes rot.

HOWEVER, the weeds are abounding in the unmulched TB bed.

Will the TBs, as they increase, choke out the weeds?  Is there anything
I can safely mulch with?  I have a very light layer of cedar mulch which
helps but is not adequate.  What about landscaping fabric with holes for
the rhizomes (plus a bit), covered with mulch?  Then I still have to
deal with weeds right around the rhizomes, but it would cut down
on the problem.

Eek!

(A few more TBs have bloomed, including PERSIAN BERRY, ORBITER, SPRING
TIDINGS, TEMPLE GOLD, and PROUD TRADITION.  Buds on SPEAKEASY.  Not
many other bloomstalks ... I am hoping that a recent cool, damp spell
might bring the others out of hiding.  This is *WAY* late for TB
bloom in Central Texas.
--
Amy Moseley Rupp
amyr@mpd.tandem.com, Austin, TX, zone 8b