re: flower terminology - neglecta

>:Websters says that neglect implies a failure to carry out some expected
>:action, so a neglecta pattern would seem to be one that fails to carry out
>:the expected pattern of being all dark blue/purple.
>:How's that?
>I meant to check on what "neglecta" means in botanical Latin last
>night--but forgot. Will try to remember after work today. I'm curious
>now. Maybe amoenas are more popular so neglectas are neglected.  ;)

Just so, often there is more than a bit of truth in a name, however obscure.
When the name was coined, nearly all bearded isis extant had arisen from
variegata X pallida crosses. There were some descendents of variageta;
yellow standards, and purple and yellow pigment both in the falls, that
*neglected* to include the yellow plastids and thus: amoena. Add back a
slight bit of lavender or purple to the standards and you have a neglecta,
basically a variegata with the yellow neglected. ;-)

mikelowe@tricities.net, Virginia, USA