hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Gallery of Plants
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Mailing Lists
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
New Trillium species discovered

Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

RSS story archive

Re: flower terminology

Since the edging on Bride's Halo is already called a HALO, it must be a halo.
But I'd prefer to call the edging we see on Ringo, BH and Brown Lasso, an
edging!!  It describes the location of the feature where HALO is -- what??
You'd have to look at the plant to see where on the fall it is!!  A Halo,
I'd like to think, is more subtle coloration.  On Daylilies, a Halo is a blend
of the throat color and the color of the main part of the petal.  Should iris
folks deviate from locating the color on the petal that far?

Carolyn Schaffner

 © 1995-2017 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement
Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index