Re: Iris Evansia

At 05:36 AM 4/30/96 MDT, you wrote:
>I saw several clumps of iris evansia (sp?) in CA.  Can anyone tell me more
>about this plant?  Is it hardy?  Tendar?  If tendar, will it tolerate pot
>culture?  Where can you find it?
>
> Dear Kathy,

I have been growing I. evansia for a while now, but our climate in Rome,
Italy is (I guess) very similiar to California. I  reckon it is a tender
plant, but it's very easy to divide and propagate  the fleshy rhizomes, that
creep on the surface (sometimes above, rather than in the soil). The leaves
get scoarched by the summer sun here, and this is why we grow it in a
half-shade position, but I guess that in colder districts it would need a
sunny and sheltered site. Here it makes huge clumps in the third-fourth
year, and we treat it as a ground cover. I am sure it can be grown in a pot,
I would say a shallow one with a big diameter, because of the creeping habit
of the Evansia. Give it good drainage, enough watering in the summer and
shelter it in the winter.

 Good Luck!

Alessandra Vinciguerra
Superintendent of the Gardens