Re: flower terminology

Doc Dave (Silverberg) writes

:Linda: I did not reply to yopur question earlier because I suspected that
:someone else would do it.  The pattern that you are talking about (i.e.
:Ringo) is one that I would call a "halo" pattern. BRIDE'S HALO is one, BROWN
:LASSO is another, and I'm sure you can find many other examples. The "halo"
:need not be stark and stand-outish, just as long as it is there.
:Are there any yea's or nay's????

Genetically, at least, there are two different things here.

There's a halo pattern in the yellow pigments (BRIDE'S HALO and BROWN LASSO
being examples), which is also called "aurata" or "flavescens pattern". In
this pattern the standards are usually solid yellow, and the falls have
just a rim of yellow. If this is overlaid with blue-violet pigment (as
in BROWN LASSO), the result is falls that are violet with a brownish
rim.

Then there's what you see in RINGO, which is an iris with blue or violet
falls in which the color stops short of the edge of the petal, leaving
a rim without the blue or violet color.

In practical terms, it may be best to describe these both as "halo pattern"
or "rim pattern", just as we talk about "violet amoenas" and "yellow
amoenas" although they are different genetically.

There's still some argument for maintaining the distinction, though,
since RINGO's halo is the *absence* of color, and BROWN LASSO's is the
*presence* of color.

Breeders: Want to make an "umbrata-aurata"? This could be really attractive.
Imagine an iris with pure yellow standards and blue falls with a precise
rim of bright *yellow* (not butterscotch or brown).

Instructions: Cross RINGO (or similar iris) with an aurata with a precise
edge (like Schreiner's EASTERTIME). Sibcross the resulting seedlings.

Happy irising, Tom.