illuminata?

At 10:42 PM 4/30/96 MDT, you wrote:

>Hey, great idea! Many of the accepted terms were created just this way.
>Somebody dreams up something and no one has a better idea! (Look at
>aurata, glaciata, and even luminata itself--though it's now a venerable
>word).
>
>I like 'umbra' ('umbral' would be the adjective)--or if you want to be
>parallel with plicata, luminata, etc., it could be 'umbrata' (which means
>"shaded"--not bad, heh?).

 Could somebody explain what a luminata is and the genetics of it? I asked
Joe Ghio to expain it and as he took me around his seedling patch he would
say this or that is an illuminata then look closer and change his mind. So I
am more in the dark than before. I am under the impression that the
illuminata pattern is a recessive (very recessive) trait of plicata's. I
read a AIS bulletin about this breeding pattern but feel that I am still in
the dark about what exactly it looks like. Could you give a few examples?
Karin Hinsen  seconfid@mtnweb.com
Central coast of California