re: flower terminology

Looks like we're off on another linguistic expedition!

The reason I brought up the subject of 'umbrata' iris is because I don't much
care for most banded iris - they are always(?) (like Bride's Halo, Emma Cook,
and I think Brown Lasso) lighter in the center of the falls with a darker
rim, band, edge, etc.  To me, they just look kinda wierd, and I don't find
them particularly appealing (ok, so I love all of them, but these aren't my
favorites).  But I do like the ones with darker centers of the falls and
lighter rims, like Ringo, World Class, and Magic Man, and lots of pictures of
SDBs and other dwarfs.  So when I send in my wish lists and dollars to my
iris supplier of the year, I like to tell them what I fancy.  And I for sure
don't want them to send me banded, rimmed, edged iris - they'll send me a
bunch of Emma Cook's and plicatas.

I would love to see some TBs with the spot, thumbprint (opposite of luminata)
pattern - some of the Barry Blyth iris seem to approach that.  Are there
other hybridizers working on that pattern in TBs?  Some of the blends (which
I also like a lot) sort of approach it.

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com