non-registered iris

Dear Clarence and others:

About a month ago, I received a mass mailing from Parks Seed (a reputable
company, I thought) selling TB collections. No mention is made these being
registered. From the names, I would believe not: "Park's Snow White", "Parks
Bitone", etc. The envelope has the following "Park's Artist's Palette Mix 6
Bearded Irises Rarely Seen In Catalogs" on the back. Is this just another
example?

Beth Matney
bmatney@is.alltel.com

"The best example of what happens when nurseries do not follow the rules is
with the junk Japanese irises (not registered) which are imported from Europe
in quantity by some nurseries.  These junk irises are mostly grown from seed,
and although a name is attached to them, you will get many different irises
under the same name...and almost assuredly all will be "junk" plants.  One
example is the Japanese iris that is the so called "Darling"  (a name which
belongs "legally" to a Spanish iris) sold by several nurseries.  I have seen
at least 8 different irises sold as DARLING...and of course the name is not
proper in the first place.  ONLY BUY RHIZOMOUS IRISES THAT HAVE BEEN
REGISTERED WITH AIS, unless it is a species form...otherwise you will most
likely get very inferior plants.  Clarence Mahan in Virginia "