Variegated Flowers

It is my understanding that in the TBs, the variegated pattern (like BATIK) was
derived from plicata lines, and probably recessive to that pattern.   (TB
experts, please jump in!)

In my arilbred seedlings, it has certainly turned up most often in quarterbreds
whose TB parent was a  plicata. In fact, the only variegated halfbred I've
bloomed so far came from what I call pseudo-plicata lines.  These LOOK like
plicatas, but don't breed exactly like plicatas.  There seems to be some
interaction between the TB plicata pattern and the aril veining pattern,
resulting in a plicata-like pattern that exhibits a dosage effect.

But that's getting off the subject again . . . .

Sharon McAllister (73372.1745@compuserve.com)
Southern New Mexico, where there's one TB bud left to open -- CATCHY NAME