Re: Loss of color

:Tom, I can think of two exceptions to the rule that irises do not change
:color over time, BUT I WOULD AGREE THE EXCEPTIONS I MENTION ARE RARE!

Quite right, Clarence! (And welcome home!)

I tend to answer this particular sort of question in no-nonsense terms.
Since I've had my iris page on the web, I've received more questions
about iris changing color than any other question. It seems it's a VERY
common experience for people to have an iris bed and notice that this
year all the flowers are white when last year they were purple, or some
such. Many of these questioners simply assume that the irises have all
mutated in some way. So I like to clear up the confusion as directly as
I can.

I think the new subscriber who put this question to the list has had a
different experience. I think the soil chemistry, sun, or water in the
new location is enough to make a noticeable difference in the _intensity_
of the color, which can certainly happen.

Your comments about virus are very interesting. This is a very conspicuous
feature of many arilbreds (especially some of the older C.G.White ones).
It seems to be an open question among judges whether the virus streaking
adds or detracts to the beauty of the bloom. Personally, I kind of like it
on the brightly colored ones, but object to it on the pastels. What I find
most distressing is a pure, pastel-toned arilbred with _one_ single virus
streak somewhere on it. It looks like an open wound!

Apparently many (?most ?all) irises carry virus. The visible expression of
it depends on the iris's ancestry and the climate and weather.

Happy irising, Tom.