Durability and personal preferences

In a way it is good to be home, some way, I think, maybe.

There have been lots of good discussions here, and just a few that I
feel compelled to prolong.

When we were talking about the 15 points awarded to durability in TBs,
it was mentioned that durability referred to how long the flowers last
and hold up to weather and not to the vigor and health of the plant.
We have been a little sloppy in creating our jargon here, using the
word "durability" in two ways.  The _Handbook_ does use "durability"
in conjunction with "substance" when talking about the flower tissue
structure.  This characteristic is worth 10 of those other 85 points.

However, the plant durability 15 that I was talking about really is related
to dependable performance, vigor, not demanding pampering, and performing
in spite of temperature extremes.  Rot is not mentioned specifically,
but it clearly says that obvious susceptibility to disease is cause
for disqualifying the variety from any consideration for awards
[even if all the other 85 points are perfect].

Now, on personal preferences:

I am also of the group that thinks the falls on a TB should fall; they
need to show color at a distance and invite you over.  I think there is
lots more room for them to approach horizontal in SDBs.  I really liked
being able to see some of the aril forms in person at the convention; I
can easily get to like those and I hope that breeders can keep some hybrids from
evolving to a TB-like form, while making them be something I have a chance
of growing successfully.

I can like the falls narrow or fat, as long as the shape is pleasing,
and ruffled or tailored--both can be very appealing.  Lace is much more
a problem for me--sometimes it seems to work, and sometimes it looks as
if a mouse got to the flower before I did; I like it on Feature Attraction
(which should have been named Kale in Violet).

I have the opposite preference to some of the others on space age types.
To me a horn or spoon seems not in keeping with the aesthetic message
of the rest of the flower, but a good full flounce makes its statement
in harmony with the standards and the falls.

And, on substance and durability of flowers, I do admit to
liking the starchy ones, but I am also thinking seriously about a
point made by Bob Hollingworth talking about judging Siberians, that
substance and durability are separate characteristics.  My favorite
example is to consider a couple of recent Siberians, Frosted Cranberry,
which looks great with its petals fluttering in a breeze, and
Sprinkles, my current web page cover girl; I like them both.

And, finally, I think we need to get Tom to the JI convention in St. Louis.
The best way to deal with your nightmares, Tom, is to face them directly.
Doubles aren't really all that bad.  I really like having my old bearded
"double" Rhythm around, and the convention folks were all impressed with
a couple of more modern form that Joe Ghio had in his garden.  But, I'll
admit that I like the singles too and even prefer single JIs and SIBs.

                                                --Jim

--
Jim Wilson, Miami Valley Iris Society, SW Ohio, USA, Zone 6a, AIS garden judge
growing TBs, medians, SIBs, JIs, & a few SPU & species.   wilsonjh@muohio.edu