Re: Blyth Irises & Maryott WOW

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Blyth Irises & Maryott WOW
  • From: Irisborer <Irisborer@aol.com>
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 03:10:13 -0600 (MDT)

>Arnold, would you be so kind to post the names of the Blyth iris that do
>well for you way up there in Iowa?

Glenn:  I'm not Arnold, but since I live just South of Buffalo, I think I can
help with Blyth irises that do well in the far north.

Besides for JAZZAROO (that I already rhapsodized over), there's WITCHING -
which grows like crazy here... and bloom profusely.  WITCHING is a TB (I
believe... can't find my Keppel catalog) that's a blend of caramel and creamy
white - the caramel is centered in the falls.  The result is a stunning clump.

One series of Bylth irises that has not done well here are any of them with
MAGIC MAN in the background... that is, dark blue with a orange/red beard.
WITCHES WAND comes to mind.  I desperately WANT these to do well, but they
just are not happy.

Now.. has everyone seen the new MARYOTT CATALOG???   It's totally unlike any
other iris catalog out there, IMHO.  The layout is excellent, the selection
extensive, and the tips and hints throughout the catalog make it one of the
more useful ones I've seen.

I grow quite a few Maryott irises, with very good results.  Sometimes irises
coming east from the west resent it, but I haven't noticed that with Maryott
or Aitken.

Anyway.... the MARYOTT catalog has a zillion pictures, and I recommend it for
newbies and old-bies alike.

Kathyguest - in heaven
East Aurora, NY