Re: CULT:clover and irises

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT:clover and irises
  • From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 08:26:04 -0600 (MDT)

 what other plants does the "iris borer" infest?  We can't remember
>digging up an iris clump in an area of dense weeds/grasses that had been in
>that location for years that had a borer infestation.  Why not?  Do the weeds
>and grasses protect the iris in some way from the borer?  Or is it that I have
>just never found an old neglected clump of iris with an infestation?

Despite some old reports of iris borers in things like columbines, etc.,
there is no reliable current information that they infest anything but
irises.  I suspect that weeds and grasses may act as mechanical barriers to
the moths, which would rather walk than fly, but that would be a very minor
effect.  More likely your experience ust is not representative.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943