Re: HYB: tetraploids & colchicine

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HYB: tetraploids & colchicine
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 09:03:41 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 1 May 1998, Bill Shear wrote:

> Species books tend to list all kinds of wide, inter-section crosses, based
> on old literature reports.  I am very skeptical of such lists, which
> include spuria x louisiana crosses, etc., etc. They are usually offered
> without any supporting literature citations or even the names of the people
> who supposedly made the crosses.
	In the Special Publication of 1991 by the SLI, mention was made
by Joseph Mertzweiller that he had effected the cross of i. spuria with a
tet LA while doing his interploidy work.  He did not say which spuria
series he used, and there is very little discussion on this.

	Marie Caillet said that Farron Campbell thinks he rescued this
plant after Mertzweiller's death last summer.  It may be in bloom now in
Farron's Garland, TX garden.  I haven't talked with Marie recently but
will ask her in my next conversation if, indeed, Farron has this clone.

	Carrying this interspecie crossing discussion a little further,
the seeds of Christy Hensler's cross (Ji x Sib), are up, and the foliage
resembles neither Ji nor Sib foliage.  It is thin, wiry, and at times
curly.  Her seeds were planted in a seed bed between my own Ji and Sib
seeds, so the comparison is easily made and the differences quite obvious.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8