Re: Blyth Irises

On Fri, 1 May 1998, Chris Hollinshead wrote:

> Irisborer wrote:
>
> > One series of Bylth irises that has not done well here are any of them with
> > MAGIC MAN in the background... that is, dark blue with a orange/red beard.
> > WITCHES WAND comes to mind.  I desperately WANT these to do well, but they
> > just are not happy.
>
> Yeah, same experience here (an hour and a half down or up the road from
> Kathyguest, depending on your perspective!) with these iris, tried three times
> with WITCHES WAND but no go... three strikes and you're out rule has been
> invoked...
>
> --
> Christopher Hollinshead

	Add GALLANT ROGUE (unknown) to that list of strike-outs.  It may
be from the same line. Also, HELLO HOBO.

	AFFAIRE, BEHOLD A LADY, ENGLISH CHARM, MAGHAREE and TOMORROW'S
CHILD belong in the shy bloom category, at least, in MS.

	In the no bloom category are BEACH GIRL, CHINESE EMPRESS, GREEN
AND GIFTED, MOOMBA, and SCULPTRESS.

	HE MAN, LIPSTICK LIES, REMBRANDT MAGIC, and TOUCH OF BRONZE
belong in the grow and bloom profusely column.

	Let's see, did I order any more this year when I know I am taking
a big chance?  Yes, I ordered FLAVOURS from Keith Keppel.  It is supposed
to have the ZING ME (first year plant here that bloomed) spot pattern in a
border bearded.

	I had no problems with Blyth irises when I gardened in Texas
because the soil is less acid and it is hot and dry like Australia, where
the Blyth irises were hybridized.  Don't get me wrong. I love Blyth irises
and when they bloom, I get a chance to smear their pollen on plants that
like MS.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8