Re: Bloom & Sprouting

Arnold Koekkoek wrote:
       2. Over a year ago a friend in Colorado sent some seeds of I.
> missouriensis, with the comment that even experienced growers had
> trouble getting this one to germinate.  I tried at least 2 different
> methods last year without success.  As a 3rd method I put some of the
> seeds into a potting mix in a little container and stuck this in the
> refrigerator, where it stayed for many months, through the past
> winter.  I took it out in late March, put it under the growlight with
> other things I planted, gave it water and very little hope.  Now I am
> very excited that 3 of the seeds have germinated, all at different
> intervals, and one is already about 4" high, the others smaller.  I
> am thrilled to have gotten these to grow--no thanks to any superior
> knowledge on my part, I assure you--and I just hope they will live
> and bloom in the garden.

Arnold, I don't think I'm the "friend in Colo." that you got these
particular seeds from, tho I did send lots of I. missouriensis to folks
on the List last fall. I'm delighted you had success & wonder if anyone
has had luck getting those I sent to germinate???????

I've tried 3 methods, so far without sprouts happening: (1) sown in pots
that I sank in the ground & left outside all winter & (2) enclosed in
damp paper towels & a sandwich bag & cold-stratified in my fridge for 4
mos., then sown & put under lights indoors. Because I had collected so
many seeds, I also (3) broadcast a bunch on top of a snowdrift in the
part of my back yard that stays soggy from run-off until some time in
June. So far, no sign of germ. anywhere -- I'm probably being wildly
impatient but have not given up, yet.

Question: did you soak your seeds before you put 'em in the pot that you
placed in your fridge? If so, how long?

Marte in the mtns	Zone 4/Sunset 1 Colorado