Re: CULT:more on cygon...

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT:more on cygon...
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <Koekkoek@dordt.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 11:50:58 -0600 (MDT)

In searching for things that deter borers (which I am thankful I
haven't had so far) I'm reminded that sprays made with onion or
garlic juice as a major component are often recommended by organic
gardeners to repel other pests.  Maybe that would work for the moth
of the borer.  Also such gardeners often make sprays using the juice
of weeds that seem immune to any pests.  Such sprays, applied to the
iris leaves, wouldn't hurt the iris at all, but might keep the pests
away, though not kill them, of course.  I've never tried this for
borers, as I said, but if one or more of these would be effective it
would be a great thing to know. Worth a try, I'd think.

Arnold

Arnold Koekkoek                         Home Ph. (712) 722-0724
Assoc. Prof. of History                 Off. Ph. (712) 722-6326
Dordt College                           e-mail koekkoek@dordt.edu
Sioux Center, IA 51250