Re: HYB: Hexagonae:VINICOLOR

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HYB: Hexagonae:VINICOLOR
  • From: Rodney Barton <rbarton@hsc.unt.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 12:19:29 -0600 (MDT)

>         Where does VINICOLOR fit in all of this?  It was once given the
> status of I.vinicolor, but its 'title was stripped' because it was
> determined to be a hybrid (like i.nelsonii).  I have never understood why
> i.nelsonii has specie status and VINICOLOR doesn't.  VINICOLOR is
> currently in bloom in my bog.  It seems to be more widely grown in old
> Southern gardens than any of the above, including fulva or foliosa
> (brevicaulis).

I think VINICOLOR is considedred a form of giganticerulea which some
still consider a form of hexagona.  I. nelsonii's status is still

It struck me that VINICOLOR may be the LA that I've grown for 20+ years,
rescued from my wife's great grandparents homestead is East Texas.  It
had been for many years before.  It is also the iris that REALLY gave me
the bug.  I had thought it was Dorthea K. Williamson.  Can one
distinguish between these two.

Can you trace your clone back to Small's collection?  Is it really that
common as VINICOLOR?

Rodney Barton
Hickory Creek, (North Central) Texas, USA
Zone 7/8, typical temp range 15 - 105 F (-9 - 41 C)

North American Native Iris Web Page: